My writings on news, culture, theatre, literature and history have appeared in a number of publications. Some of the most recent - and the best - of them are collected on this page.
* How did Hong Kong become a virtual lab for protest in a surveillance state? (The Wilson Quarterly)
* Ivan Sviták and the power of truth in a post-truth age. (The New Republic)
* An interview with Henry Farrell and Abe Newman on "weaponized interdependence" (The Wilson Quarterly).
* The Velvet Revolution and an American grad student inspired Bohumil Hrabal to write one of his greatest works. (The Wilson Quarterly)
* Dachau 1919 and Dachau 1933 (Balkans via Bohemia)
Selected Essays and Interviews